Saturday, April 9, 2011

January 2011

The year started with a bang.  As soon as we got home from North Carolina we had a quick New Year's celebration and we were back to school.  We got settled into the first week of the new semester and rumors of a snowstorm began circulating.


I have learned not to get real excited when they predict snow in Tennessee because it usually doesn't happen.  However the prospect of a day off already sounded good after being in school for one week.  Well, not only did we get one day off, we ended up missing the whole week of school because of the snow, ice, and freezing temperatures that did materialize.  Much of the South was immobile because of lack of equipment.  I often said my northern friends and family would just shake their heads at the dilemma in which we found ourselves.  I did get much done that week and rested from the busy holidays.   Our Spirit Week and Homecoming festivities were postponed until the following week.  I was in charge of the week's events, so it did give me more time for preparation for which I was grateful.


Finally we returned to school and things were back underway.  Here is my English class acting out the definitions to their vocabulary words.  They love to do this (they have adopted my love for drama) and, to be honest, I see they do better on their quizzes when they remember the skits about each word.  I can't remember what the word is here.  I'll have to ask to see who remembers.  Mom, we are using the flashcard words that your English classes used!:)
My parents gave me this shelf and picture frames for Christmas.  I put prints of winter scenes in the frames.  I'll post another pic with the pictures inserted.  I continue to work on decorating our bonus room.

Finally we were able to have Homecoming.  I know this is a dark picture, but these girls are two that graduated from Berean last year and came back for Homecoming.  Christin on the left was the reigning Homecoming queen.  It was so good to see my former students and hear how God is working in their lives.  This was a reception that we had in my classroom for the alumni.  Another teacher helped organize the reception and made my room look beautiful!  Notice that we are still using Grandma Cutlan's wicker bench!  I was so glad when Homecoming was over but it turned out very well.  Now, it was on to other matters such as schoolwork and preparation for TACS district speech competition.  Stay tuned for

February 2011

1 comment:

Connie Carlson said...

It's thrilling to see how God is using you in the lives of your precious students. I got all chocked up seeing Grandma's wicker bench; she would have loved that your students are enjoying it! Keep up the good work with those vocab. words! Love, Mom XXOO