Friday, June 17, 2011

May 2011


Once things calmed down a little after all of the trips and storms in April, I decided it was time to adorn my bare porch with some flowers.  Here is one of the planters that sits by the door.  I also have hanging baskets with impatients.  Seeing the beautiful arrangements and watching them grow throughout May has been so fun. 



Soon it was Mother's Day weekend.  This is Amanda one of my precious homeroom students.  Earlier in the week she asked me what she could get me for Mother's Day.  I told her that I didn't need anything and she persisted.  Finally I smiled and said, "Why don't you just get me a flower, a rose would be nice."  So on Friday she proudly walked into homeroom holding a Sonic cup with a beautiful red rose.  She walked up to my desk, held it out to me and said, "Happy Mother's Day, because you are a mom to all of us."  It really touched my heart.  The Lord has been so good to give me the opportunity to minister to so many children for 21 years now.


The Friday after Mother's Day was the Jr/Sr banquet.  It was held in the pavilion of Chester Frost Park.  It was a relaxing evening for my colleague Leah and I because neither of us were in charge.  Next year I will be in charge of the Jr/Sr banquet, but this year I was able to enjoy the work of another teacher and class.  It was a lovely evening.  Especially enjoyable were the testimonies that the juniors gave about the seniors.  We had an excellent senior class that have been godly examples.  This is always the event that begins the festivities leading up to graduation and the goodbyes to the senior class.

The next week was our final week with the seniors and so we had a celebration for the 5 seniors in drama class on our last day with them.  Kaity, Brittany, Hunter, Kaylee and Kelsey have been such a blessing to me.  They have all been involved in speech and drama extensively through high school.  Each of them has wonderful talents and I'm excited that they are all going on to Christian colleges.  It was hard to say goodbye, but I'm excited to see what God will do in their
lives as they take this giant step.


This is an awards ceremony where students received special awards and honors.  The last two weeks of school were a blur.  We had special meetings, chapels, awards programs, final exams and one sweet graduation service.   My friend Patti that I taught with for a number of years came back for graduation and stayed with us one night.  It was a wonderful finale to a fantastic year.  


On my last day of work all of the teachers met at IHOP for breakfast.  Whew!  What a wonderful feeling to know that all of the papers were graded and all requirements were met.  I met Brian and his parents for lunch that day to celebrate and then I went home and collapsed.  I love this picture of Essie because she loves to collapse with me.  She is my faithful companion.  She doesn't say anything; she is just there to rest with me when I've given every last ounce of strength.  Now we are working to recuperate.  Praise the Lord the summer is here!  Next update....

June 2011 (coming soon)

2 comments:

Grompy said...

I loved seeing and reading about your school year. What a blessing to be a part of molding the lives of young people! Hope you are feeling better. We have been praying for you. Love, Aunt Cheryl

Connie Carlson said...

Your great posts never cease to bring joy! You didn't tell me about your student giving you a rose for Mother's Day! How true...you have countless children that God has given you in your service for Him! What a blessing! I love the sweet picture of Essie! Love, Mom XXOO