Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Elizabeth


This is Elizabeth. She was my Grandma Cutlan's doll when she was a girl. She has a china face that is in very good condition and real hair. Grandma Cutlan gave her to my mom when I was 6. Two years ago my mom brought Elizabeth to live at our house. She is an honored member of the family. Each year my mom would clean her up, wash her clothes, and curl her hair. Usually mom has helped me attend to the yearly ritual, but this year I was on my own. Here is Elizabeth after her annual spif-up. She is so happy to be looking her best and so wanted me to take her picture. A friend from Normal gave my mom the stroller a few years ago so this is her typical pose.


I put together a shadow box with information about Elizabeth and have it on display in our guest bedroom. The little picture next to the lamp is of Grandma and Elizabeth in 1922.



Another view of Elizabeth and her display. These were the chest-a-drawers that I had in my bedroom while I was growing up. My mom found it in an antique shop and refinished it!

3 comments:

Connie Carlson said...

This post made me cry; it is so special! Elizabeth looks wonderful - she truly is a treasure! I bought the stroller from a friend in Normal, IL, many years ago - it is the same age as Elizabeth! (P.S. As you know, Grandma and I both talked to Elizabeth too!) Love you so much! Mom XXOO

Connie Carlson said...

I forgot to mention that I love the shadow box! What a great idea! Love, Mom XXOO

gailsgarden said...

I didn't know your mom had given the doll to you. I am sure you will always treasure her. It is so nice that you keep this memory alive!