Monday, June 15, 2009

Summer Reading

While recuperating, I've indulged in a love of mine and many other of my family members--reading. In the 10 days I've been laid up I have read two Christian fiction novels. While I was visiting with my parents, my dad made me aware of these two authors and their writings.

Although the style and genre were very different, I've enjoyed both novels immensely. They both were well-written and contained a strong Biblical world view which seems so illusive in many genres of literature.

We have a school-wide, summer reading program. Each student is required to read an assigned book during the summer. This summer I decided to give my students a choice of two novels. Since we will be studying American literature, the works written by two American contemporary Christian authors work well. Hopefully this assignment will ignite more of an interest in reading edifying literature.

Anyway, here are the two books:

Fatal Illusions
by Adam Blumer

This book was just released in March. It is very suspenseful--a serial killer story without the usual discomfort of immoral scenes and language. I read it in two days and just couldn't put it down. I finished it last night at about 11:00 p.m. Not a very smart thing to do since the killer continues to emerge at the end and I was on pins and needles.


Some Wildflower in my Heart
by Jamie Langston Turner


A story about a hard heart and the power Christ's love and forgiveness demonstrated by a surrendered saint. Mrs. Turner does an excellent job in character and relationship development. I especially appreciate this strength since character development is so inherent and necessary in acting. This work has left me thinking about how my life and communication demonstrates Christ's work in my walk.

2 comments:

sara said...

We like JL Turner too! We just read the one about the birds- Winter Birds I think it is called. Even Dave liked it.

I have heard of Adam Blumer, I think. I will have to look that book up too.

Dramagirl said...

I'm going to order that one! It sounds good too! You will like Blumer's book; just don't read it late at night:)