Friday, September 28, 2007

We Survived!

We just returned home a few hours ago from a whirlwind convention. What a fabulous time we had!
Our workshops went so well. However, I must admit I had a mishap before or during every workshop! I tell my students that the devil always fights us when we are trying to do something for the Lord. It is part of spirtual warfare, I guess:). The first mishap was the death of my laptop 30 minutes before the first session! Panic! I have used the crazy thing every day since the school year began; Thursday morning was the day it happened to die. I calmly prayed a quick prayer for help! Sure enough one of secretaries (Becky Wilder, MBBC grad) graciously offered to loan me her laptop to hookup to my projector and the show went on!!

That afternoon in my Storytelling workshop the visual aid for my story malfunctioned. I was adlibbing for a few minutes while I tried to refold the newspaper I was using to tell "The Rainhat" story that calls for one piece of newspaper that is transformed into various different hats. The teachers patiently waited and within moments we were off again.
I concluded the story workshop with the story of "Sisters Midge and Evie" (pictured above) and several of their childhood adventures on Galewood Ave. in Chicago. I shared how both of these little girls grew up and married godly Christian men. God obviously guided and directed them throughout their lives. Evie's husband George was killed in a plane crash leaving her a widow with four small children all of whom have grown up to serve the Lord. There was not a dry eye in the room as I concluded the story to reveal that Evie and George Carlson were my grandparents who are now together with the Lord, and their son Gerry is my dad. As a result of the godly heritage of my family, many of the lives of our family members have been influenced to love and serve Jesus. I am so thankful for the legacy we have. God is so good!! He deserves all of the glory and praise.


Now we must rest!


5 comments:

gailsgarden said...

I think you will find it interesting to know that Galewood was a neighborhood, not a street. I found some info at chicago.com/neighborhoods/Galewood and wildonions.org/NeighborhoodsMap.htm

That was where Gramma stepped out of her boots because it was so muddy and she played with snakes. She was a little tomboy then! It was past the streetcar line because it was so far out into the country. Of course it has been city for years and years. I think it was also the place where she had pork chops and beer at her German neighbor's!

I also saw some interesting stuff about our neighborhood, Chicago Lawn.

Dramagirl said...

Aunt Gail, Thanks for the extra info!! I'm giving the workshop again this week and so your details will definitely enhance the story!! How funny that she was a tomboy!!:)

2Icecubed said...

Kristy, I saw your mom last week at the Great Lakes teacher's convention. It was great to see her...it has been awhile!:) We missed you, but I understand that family wins out! Haven't you done workshops in the past for the Great Lakes one? Dr.Ice will have to get you next time! You mentioned in your last post that you saw Becky Wilder...she was my roomate at MBBC!! Had no idea where she was or what she was doing now!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I just finished catching up on your blog and don't know where to begin! First of all, I must say I would LOVE to sit in any of your workshops! OR any of your teaching! I always loved to be under your tutelage! I was also moved at your dad's story from 9/11. I knew about your family being there because I was still at Temple that year, but had never read his personal story. I also love the pics of your home! How beautiful!

Well, it's good to see what you're up to! Tell your husband I said hello!

Priscilla said...

This photo is one of my favorites of Mom and Auntie Midge. I have it framed and in a prominent place in our bedroom. Grandma Leir made the dresses that the girls were wearing. They were brown velvet dresses and the flowers on the front were aqua (embroidered by Grandma Leir). The sashes and the bows were satin & aqua in color.