Thursday, August 2, 2007

Home Improvement Queen

This summer I have not had to work except for teaching an evening speech class at a nearby technical college. The class meets every Monday night for 2 1/2 hours and is a hybrid class which means they meet half the time in class (to give presentations and discuss) and the other half of their work is done on-line. I've been wanting to become more familiar with online education, so I'm thankful for this opportunity.

I made a bargain with Brian that I would do "home improvement" projects instead of working another part-time job. I've gotten much accomplished and still have had much time off while doing some things for school.

One of my last projects was to stain our deck. I signed up for a Deck Staining Seminar at Lowe's (they do them all the time and they are free!!). When I got to Lowe's I was the only one who came for the class, but I got an individual tutoring session from "Ron, the Deck Staining Expert"!!! I took detailed notes (let me know if you'd like a copy). He loaded my cart with all of the supplies that I would need and I was off -- confident that I could do this! After all I do have Cutlan blood (and Grandpa Cutlan could do anything!!)

I got the deck all prepared just before we let on vacation. Then we have had so much rain since we got home that I wasn't sure if I'd get it down. Well, this week has a sunny forecast. Yeah! I got out early this morning and worked until lunch. Now it is too hot, but I may try to finish it tonight. Since I couldn't take a picture, I found this one from the internet:



It really is this dramatic! It looks awesome! I'll take a picture of the final product when it is finished.

Has anyone else done a project that went well?? I love to get ideas.

The most exciting thing was the money we saved. Last summer a guy that did some other painting for us told Brian he would give him a deal and do it for $500! Thankfully we didn't fall for his "deal"!!



2 comments:

The Beard Bunch said...

Hello, Kristy! I found your blog via Danielle (Anderson) Sturgill. You look like you are enjoying blogging---a very full site. I have the same story as you, as far as thinking I was too busy, but finding that it really is a fun way to keep in touch. It is good to see you are doing so well. I also am teaching at a college, and this next semester is my first time doing an on-line course. Remember MBBC back when....did we even have but maybe a lab of 15 oomputers :) Good to see you doing well! Michelle (Sturgill) Beard

sara said...

I am so proud of you...I could never have enough patience to stain a deck! Can't wait to see pictures of it.

I have a lot I want to do at our house, but most of it will just need to wait until we buy (and IF we buy). I would LOVE to paint the floor of my porch in a checkered pattern.