Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Stage Fright

One of my colleagues at school has worked with me on a two-year project to incorporate communication skills training across the curriculum. As we continue our project this year, our principal has asked us to give a report on the results of the project during inservice next week. We have seen remarkable advancement in the attitude toward speaking in public among our students.

Of course, I have always enjoyed speaking in public. Being raised in a home in which communication was encouraged greatly enhanced my speech training. Since my dad was a preacher and my mom was a teacher there was no "fear of speaking in public" spoken of in our home. In addition, my parents were incredibly supportive of anything we did "up in front of people." I can remember working in Vacation Bible School, Jr. church, Sunday school, as well as giving testimonies regularly in youth group and in church.

I am so thankful for parents who, while they were teaching me to love and serve the Lord, also helped me to overcome stage fright before I knew what it was. Fear of speaking in public is the number one fear of adults. I have never been able to understand the reason for this startling statistic. Thankfully I had wonderful parents, caring teachers, and a supportive Christian community that affirmed my abilities and worth to a loving heavenly Father who has given all of us the gift of communication.

No comments: